Monday, April 22, 2013

My First Book Signing



That was Interesting



I really didn't expect a huge group... I should've raised my expectations.
Turns out my friends and family have been promoting like crazy!
I had over 490 people show up for my book signing!
I wont lie, I feel a little famous.
Anyways.

Today overall was a good day to be a writer, I talked to a very interesting old man today.
Anytime I see a homeless guy over the age of 50, I feel inclined to talk to them.
He went on to tell me about all the adventures he entertained in his youth.
I cant say I am as couragous as he was, but I try my best.
He told me a story that really shook me to the core.
It was about his life on the streets.
And the story goes like this.

"I am not out here because I couldn't find work, I am not eating scraps and being a slob because I am lazy. I am doing it for a much more fundamental reason, something you probably would've never thought of. I am out here because I realized this was my last chance to have an adventure. I was told 3 years ago that I had cancer, and it wasn't looking good.
Instead of waisting away in a hospital bed, I resorted to finding out the answer of my last question.
I wanted to see first hand, if the world had more good people then bad."

So naturally I asked, "So what did you find?"

He said, " It's not that simple, my friend. This is a story that wont ever have an ending, it can't be told by one person, especially not by me. I have lived a life of good and evil, I am a sinner and I hope I have been forgiven. This world is like a balance beam, and when someone dares to venture across its narrow path. Sometimes we lose our balance, sometimes we sway, sometimes we are evil, and sometimes we are saints. The best lesson I have learned, was from a young man not much older than you. He told me, " It is okay to be afraid, it is okay to misunderstand, the most important thing you must say to yourself at the end of the day, is it is okay to be alone, and to love like there is no end." I was just as skeptical as anyone else, I was taught to be a big strong man and have no fears. But it dawned on me that I have mostly lived a life of fear, and hide from the reality that keeps us alive."

He paused for a few seconds and looked into the sky before saying, " Tanner, this is my last adventures, you will most likely be the last to hear my story. I am dying and I can feel it more everyday, I disappeared one day and left my family to wonder why. I wasn't punishing them in any way, I just didn't want them to anticipate how much they would miss me when I was gone.
I know it was selfish, but they did their best to understand. This is my way of teaching them a lesson that will never fade away. They know how much I love them and that's all I had left to offer. 
My only question now is, do they miss me everyday, do they drive by a lost man like me and wonder if it's me? "

I did my best to reassure him that no matter the circumstance, they will miss you till their day comes to meet you in that special place. 

And just like that he walked away, but I like to think, he was finally going to go home and stop living in fear. Death is apart of life and I think he finally came to terms with the stories he told. 




No comments:

Post a Comment