Thursday, April 18, 2013

Tips&Tricks




Tips&Tricks


I have been asked by several people to post some of my tips and tricks.
With that said, hope this helps!
Stay tuned, every day I will post a new tip or trick!

  1. Talking to yourself doesn't make you crazy!

    I know what you are thinking, "Why on earth would I talk to myself?" Trust me, even though this is one of my best tricks, I still ask myself the same question! Let me rephrase and re-approach this statement, you are literally going to be talking to yourself, but in turn, you are getting to know your characters! When I get stuck in what I call, "The Grey Haze" I always resort to this tactic.

    Step 1. Turn off EVERY distraction, lock yourself away in a quiet room and if you must, put a sign on the door in BOLD, UNDERLINED, and in a BRIGHT color that says," I AM WRITING! LEAVE ME ALONE!

    Step 2. Turn on your computer, or pick up your piece of paper and a pen.

    Step 3. Ask a question (write down everything, your question, and the answer!)
     Example: What is your name? Can you tell me what you are doing? How is your day going? I am trying to write your story, but your voice has been very vague lately, care to elaborate?

    Step 4. Let the answers come to you, do not force it, just let it happen. Trust me, it will happen! Let your characters inner voice be heard. (see step 3 for the questions of these answers!)
     Example: I have a few names, some of my names can only be heard by the wind, most of my names you wont be able to say. So how about we keep things simple, my name is, Deception.
    I could tell you what I am doing, but I am pretty sure you don't want to know. Oh to hell with it, you seem like a nice guy, I am actually attending to my business in the bathroom at the moment!
    My day has been rather monotanous, nothing to exciting going on. The highlight of my day was when I tripped in front of the girl I am basically in love with.
    I already told you, my story is very obviously boring. Good luck writing a book based off of a guy like me.


    See there, now I have established a few facts about this character. He clearly has some issues with insecurities, how I figure that is because he wont even reveal his real name. He then talks about the highlight of his day being an embarrassing moment in front of a girl he loves. From here I would continue to ask more probing questions, look at your characters like a stranger you run into in an airport. Ask question you would generally ask someone you hardly know, be cautious at first, gain their trust, then when their walls start to drop. Ask the questions you really need answers too!


    GET TO KNOW YOUR CHARACTERS! This will help you write their story the right way!

No comments:

Post a Comment